Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookie Pie


Welcome to another Improv Challenge brought to you courtesy of Kristen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. This month our challenge is to use Oatmeal and Raisins. Frankly, I was a little lost this time. I suppose that a good challenge would have been to use the oatmeal and raisins in a savory dish, but all I could think to make were oatmeal-raisin cookies. How boring is that? Boring might be the wrong word--I love Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, but I just wanted something different. So, I decided to change it up a little, by adding some walnuts and butterscotch, throwing in some booze, and pouring it into a pie crust. Voila! Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookie Pie!


Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookie Pie
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butterscotch schnapps (or sub bourbon)
1/2 cup raisins
1 unbaked 9" pie crust
3 large eggs, beaten
1 jar (12.5 oz) butterscotch ice cream topping
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cups chopped walnuts
3/4 cup oatmeal

Directions:

Combine the schnapps and the raisins in a small bowl and set aside for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.; prepare pie crust or line a glass pie plate with a refrigerated crust per package instructions.

In medium bowl, combine beaten eggs, butterscotch topping, melted butter, sugar, salt, walnuts, oatmeal, and raisins. Mix until well-blended; pour into prepared crust.


It was hard not to want to eat a little of the butterscotch batter...restraint was in order. Don't have butterscotch schnapps? Go buy some! It's great in hot chocolate, too.


I confess to using a refrigerated pie crust this time, but if you choose to make your own, check out this vodka pie crust recipe: Cook's Illustrated's Foolproof Pie Dough

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge of pie comes out clean. Serve warm or cold, with cream if desired.




Every time I think I come up with some original, awesome idea, I Google it to see if it's been done. I'm a masochist like that. This time, I thought I would just throw caution to the wind and make it anyway. Then, in the course of putting this post together, I poked around Kristen's awesome blog, Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker (if you haven't checked it out yet--go!). Lo and behold, there it was...not just an oatmeal pie...an Oatmeal Scotchie Pie! Oy! How did I miss it? Oh well--there is room in the world for two versions.... and may I add that great minds think alike? :)


 Next time, I may sub the raisins for some chocolate chips. Gotta keep the schnapps, though!


Now, go check out some other Oatmeal and Raisin recipes!




;

Comments