Raspberry-Cream Cheese Braid


I've made this before--the lemon version. It bears repeating, no? This time, it's made with raspberries and cream cheese. I'm finding that these braids are fairly easy to make if you have a stand mixer (I haven't tried it without). Working with dough can be tricky, but as with most things, practice makes perfect. This recipe, adapted from King Arthur Flour, makes a sweet braid that tastes like it comes from a bakery...only better, since you know what went into it.


I won't bore you with pictures of the process. If you would like, visit my post Braided Lemon-Sour Cream Bread and you can see what goes on, from making a "sponge", to braiding the dough. I will share a quick recipe for the Raspberry filling, which is awesome.



You'll have more filling than you'll need for the braids. Just use it on some pancakes...yum!

Raspberry Filling

1 (12 oz) package frozen raspberries
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water

Place the raspberries, water and sugar in a medium sized heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Slowly, stir in the cornstarch slurry. Cook and stir for a few more minutes, or until the mixture is thickened and bubbling. Cool to room temperature before using.


Truthfully, I should have used more filling than the 1/2 cup per braid that is called for in the recipe. I don't think anyone would have minded if a bit spilled out....


Now, I'm thinking that a savory braid is order. A "man" braid of sorts. Pizza, perhaps? Or something with beer and cheese? Hmmm....perhaps both. Stay tuned.

Comments