Day 331: Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes

I've tried a lot of Au Gratin Potato recipes in my day, and I've found some good ones, but I've still been on the hunt for the perfect recipe.  I think I may have finally found it.  This recipe is from Cook's Country.  It is another one of those awesome recipe sites.

Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
12" dutch oven

1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick (To make this recipe turn out right the potatoes MUST be thinly and evenly sliced.  A food processor or mandolin works best.)
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

In a large bowl, toss the cheeses and cornstarch together until evenly coated.  In a dutch oven, neatly layer the potatoes. (This step is important since it helps the keep the potatoes from being a sloppy mess when served.)  Sprinkle the potatoes evenly with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with the remaining potatoes, layering them neatly and evenly. Sprinkle another 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper evenly over the top.

Combine the cream and the broth in a large measuring cup and pour the mixture over the potatoes. Top with the remaining cheese mixture and bake at 350° for 75-85 minutes or until golden brown and a fork inserted into the center slides in easily with little resistance. Let the potatoes cool for 10 minutes. Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product



The Review

These are the best au gratin potatoes I've ever had!!!  Seriously, the best.  They are so rich and yummy.  I love the flavor and creaminess the Monterrey jack cheese adds.  These are also easy.  I had them ready to go on the coals in about 10 minutes.  My favorite part is the crunchy edges.  In fact, I may go eat the leftovers right now.  Grade A.

Comments